Dr Shamsul Kamariah Bt Abdullah
- PhD. Curtin University (2013)
- Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching-Curtin University (2005)
- Master of Business Administration with Advanced Certificate in Marketing (Southern New Hampshire University, Manchester, (USA). (1989)
- Bachelor of Science majoring in Marketing-Southern New Hampshire University, Manchester, USA (1987)
- Diploma in Hotel and Catering Management. Mara University of Technology (UiTM)
+60 85 443939 ext. 2771
- Senior Lecturer (Marketing): 2001 – current (Curtin University Malaysia), Department of Marketing, Faculty of Business
- Chair –Faculty Quality Assurance –Faculty of Business (November 2019 – current)
- Acting Deputy Dean (August 2017 – August 2019)
- Director-Academic Quality (Contract) (January 2014 – August 2015)
- Associate Dean (Teaching & Learning) School of Business (January – December 2013)
- Dean – School of Business, Curtin University, Sarawak campus (2009 – 2011)
- Acting/Director- School of Business, Curtin University, Sarawak campus (2007-2008)
- HOD-Department of Marketing and Management. (2004 – 2006)
- Course Coordinator (2003 – 2005)
- Chair- Teaching and Learning Committee (2001-2002)
- Lecturer, University Technology Mara (Arau) (1991 – 2000)
- Retail Marketing and Distribution
- Discovering Marketing
- Public Sector Marketing (MGMT5031)-Post Graduate level
- Sales Management
- Consumer Behaviour
- Strategic Marketing
- Marketing of Services
- Marketing Communication
Marketing Education – Distributed Learning, Flip Classroom, Classroom engagement, and Higher Education system and Governance
Retail Marketing (Retail Banking)
Social Media and Celebrities
Research Title: “The role of digital technology in community-based rural hospitality and tourism entrepreneurship in Sarawak”
- Awarding body: Internal (Curtin Malaysia)
- Grant Amount: RM5000
- Research role: Principle Investigator
- Period: 1 year (2015)
Research Title: ‘The factors influencing Students’ Motivation towards Learning and Development’
- Awarding body: Curtin Sarawak Teaching Innovation Project (CSTIP) 2015
- Grant Amount: RM2000
- Research role: Researcher.
- Period: 1 year (2015)
Research title: Remuneration Packages of Indonesian General Workers and recruitment costs of employers in Peninsular Malaysia, Sabah and Sarawak.
- Awarding body: Sarawak Timber Association (STA)
- Grant Amount: RM125,000.00
- Research role: Principle
- Period: 1 year (2011)
Research title: Business Graduate Attributes: An Exploratory Study on Curtin Sarawak.
- Awarding body: Curtin Sarawak Research Fund (CSRF)
- Grant Amount: RM10,000.00
- Research role: Researcher
- Period (2007-2009)
Research title: Learning Experience Revisited: exploring students learning behaviour in marketing units. A case of Confucius Heritage Culture Learners (CHC) at Curtin, Sarawak Malaysia.
- Awarding body: Curtin Sarawak Research Fund (CSRF)
- Grant Amount: RM10,000.00
- Research role: Principle
- Period: 2006
Academic Journal Articles
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., & Abdullah, S.K. (2019). Disruptive digital innovation and sharing economy in hospitality and tourism destination. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Volume 495, 2019- IOPscience.
- Hassan, M.K., Abdullah, S.K., Lew, T. Y., and Islam, M.F. (2019) “Tourists’ Satisfaction and Destination Loyalty: A Case Study on Cox’s Bazar Beach of Bangladesh”. International Journal of Leisure and Tourism Marketing. 2019 Vol.6 No.3/4, pp.174 – 193.
- Hasan, M.K., Abdullah, S.K., Lew, T.Y., Islam, M.F. (2019) “The antecedents of tourist attitudes to revisit and revisit intentions for coastal tourism”. International Journal of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research. Vol. 13 No. 2, pp. 218-234.
- Hasan, M.K., Abdullah, S.K., Lew, T.Y., Islam, M.F. (2019). “Determining Factors of Tourists’ Loyalty to Beach Destinations – a structural model. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics. https://doi.org/10.1108/APJML-08-2018-0334
- Olaniyi, O, N., Abdullah, S.K., Ayadurai, C. (2019), “Determinants of Off-Balance Sheet (OBS) Activities: A Case of Selected Retail Banks in Malaysia”. Asia-Pacific Management Accounting Journal. [S.l.], v. 14, n. 1, p. 95-113
- Abdullah, S. K (2013) “Balancing the Act: Incorporating the constructive alignment in promoting and enhancing higher order thinking skills among the CHC learners”. 11-12 March 2013, Global Summit Education 2013 (GSE 2013). GSE Journal of Education; ISSN: 2289-3970
- Ng, P. Y., Abdullah, S.K., Nee, P. H. and Tiew, F. N. H. (2009), Business Graduate Attributes: An Exploratory Study on Curtin Sarawak, accepted in Journal Publication: International Review of Business Research Papers; ISSN: 1832-9543.
Conference Proceedings / Presentations
- Gunness, A. & Margaret Jekanyika Matanda, & Sonia Dickinson, & Abdullah, S.K. 2019. The Mediating Role of Perceived Usefulness of Education on the Link between Student Cultural Intelligence and Engagement in Distributed Learning. (paper accepted)-Society for Marketing Advances conference. (November 2019) New Orleans, LA. USA
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., John Teo, Sean Lee and Abdullah, S.K. (2018). Hospitality and Tourism Education in an Emerging Digital Economy: Identifying the Digital Skills Needs for Disruptive Hospitality and Tourism Industry in Malaysia. QS Subject Focus Summit on Hospitality and Tourism “The Way Forward: Hospitality and Tourism Education Convergence with Industry 4.0”. 5-7th Dec 2018. Best Paper.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., & Abdullah, S.K. (2018). Insights into qualitative data analysis techniques in tourism destination branding case studies research. 8th International Borneo Business Conference Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia 4 -5 October, 2018. Best Paper award.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., & Abdullah, S.K. (2018). Disruptive digital innovation and sharing economy in hospitality and tourism. 11th Curtin University, Science and Engineering International Conference (CUTSE 2018), Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia 26-28 November, 2018.
- Khan, Md Raziuddin Taufique, Samuel Adeyinka-Ojo, & Abdullah, S.K. (2018). The Scope and Role of Eco Labelling to Promote Environmentally Sustainable Consumption Behaviour: A Literature review. 8th Int. Borneo Business Conference 2018 “Diginomics: Promise and Perils”.
- Hasan, M. K., Abdullah, S.K. & Lew, T.Y. (2018). Exploring the Performance of Tourist Facilities at Beach Destinations of Bangladesh. International Conference on Business and Sustainable Development (ICBSD 2018).
- Gunness, A. & Abdullah, S. K. (2016)”Distributing Retail Marketing: International learning done locally”, presented as part of the Cengage Pride/Ferrell Innovations in Teaching Competition at the 54th annual SMA Conference: Atlanta, 2016.
- Krishnan, A., Abdullah, S.K., Anthony, C.D. (2015) Motivation: A teaching myth or reality. 3rd International Conference on Higher Education T&L Conference 2015 (HETL 2015) (November 26- 27, 2015)
- Tiew, F.N.H., Abdullah, S.K., (2013) Curtin’s Graduate Attributes: Malaysia Employers’ Views on Importance and Performance. 2nd International Higher Education T&L Conference 2013 (9th and 10th December 2013)
- Abdullah, S.K. (2009), The Silent Classroom: What makes the imbalance? International Conference on Educational Research and Practice, 10-11 July 2009, University Putra Malaysia.
- Ng, P. Y., Abdullah, S.K., Nee, P. H. and Tiew, F. N. H. (2008), Business Graduate Attributes: An Exploratory Study on Curtin Sarawak, International Conference on Business and Information 2008, 7-9 July, South Korea.
- Abdullah, S.K. 2006. Learning Experience Revisited: exploring students learning behavior in marketing units. A case of Confucius Heritage Culture Learners (CHC) at Curtin University of Technology, Sarawak Malaysia. – Funded by Curtin Sarawak Research fund.- Paper presented at the HERDSA conference 2006-poster presentation
- Abdullah, S.K. 2004 “More spices in my skills? Assessment and learning experienced revisited – An analysis of the current assessment on Confucius Heritage Culture Learner(CHC). A case of Curtin University of Technology, Sarawak. Paper presented at the HERDSA Conference 2004.
- Abdullah S.K., Balasingam S. D.Eunice Kong Eik Fong, Krishnan. Left Brain Thinkers – Does a shift to Whole Brain Concepts works for the Confucius Heritage Culture Learners. Paper presented at the He21 Conference 2003
- Abdullah S.K., Balasingam S. D.Eunice Kong Eik Fong, Krishnan A. Left Brain Thinkers- A further study on the learning styles of the Confucius Heritage Learners at Curtin Sarawak. Paper presented at the HERDSA Conference 2002
- Integrated Marketing Communication (Module for Open University-Malaysia):2006
- Abdullah, S.K. 2013. “Child brand ambassadors: Merely a child’s play business”. Marketing Strategy Casebook 2013. Pp-pp. Cambridge University Press. ISBN: 978-1-107-60730-9
- Abdullah, S.K. 2015. Review of Marketing Management and Communications in the Public Sector by Martial Pasquier, Jean-Patrick Vileneuve (2012)Routledge; Taylor and Francis (ISBN: 978-0-415-44897-0 (hbk)
Key Note Speaker
- ‘Click and Talk Classroom Engagement; Learning and Teaching in the Millennium’ presented at the 1st International Conference on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education, Myanmar Engineering Society, Yangon, Myanmar. (24th November – 26th November 2017)
Other Conference Activities
- Scientific Committee Members- The International Conference on Business, Commerce and Management Studies (12th March – 13th March, 2020)
- Organising Committee – Borneo Research Conference. Faculty of Business, Curtin Malaysia. (6th Nov – 7th Nov 2017)
- Organising Committee – 1st International Conference on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Education, Myanmar Engineering Society, Yangon, Myanmar. (24th November – 26th November 2017)
- Organising Committee member of Bali International Business and Social Science Research Conference (BIBSRC) 22nd April – 24th April 2016
- Organising Committee member of Australia and New Zealand Business and Social Science Research Conference (ANZBSRC) 2016. 17th -18th September 2016. Sydney Australia.
- Organising Committee Member of Bangkok Annual Business and Social Science Research Conference (BABSRC) 2016. 12th Dec – 13th Dec 2016
- Organising committee member of Kuala Lumpur International Business and Social Science Research Conference (7th Aug – 8th Aug 2015)
- Session chair, 2nd International Higher Education, Teaching and Learning Conference 2013, 9 Dec – 10 Dec 2013
Supervision of Higher Degree by Research Student
- Student Name: Md Kamrul Hasan; Degree:PhD; Research Title: “Tourists’ Revisit Intention to Beach Destinations in Bangladesh”; Role: Main Supervisor; Completed
- Student Name: Hoang Mai Do; Degree: MPhil; Research Title: “Communication strategies for well-known international universities which have campuses in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam”; Role: Co-Supervisor; 2015-2017 (Completed)
Doctoral/Master Dissertation Thesis Committee
- Allen Lim Chong Guan. PhD (completed)
- Hadysyam Bin Junaidi. PhD (completed)
- Mohamed Shamil Bin Mohamed Mihilar. PhD (completed)
- Sou Wen Jing. MPhil – Thesis Chair (current)
- Ting Qian Hui. MPhil –Thesis Chair (current)
- Athena Wei Chee. MPhil- Thesis Chair (current)
- Farah Hasan Sarah. MPhil- Thesis Chair (current)
Reviewer of Academic Journals
- International Journal of Management in Education(IJME) (2018)
- International Journal of Service Management and Sustainability- UiTM Sarawak (2018)
- Journal of Teaching and Learning for Graduate Employability (2017)
- Pertanika Journals (2016)
- Australian Academy of Accounting and Finance Review (AAAFR)
- Australasian Journal of Business, Social Sciences and Information Technology (AJBSSIT)
- International Journal of Management in Education (IJMIE).
Academic Society Committee Membership
- Fellow (FHEA), Higher Education Academy UK (HEA): 2018-current
- Member, Chartered Institute of Marketing (UK): 2011-current
- Member, Institute of Marketing Malaysia (IMM): 2015-current
- Nominees (Team): Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT 2019)
- Student Choice Award for Department of Marketing. Curtin Malaysia: 2019
- Curtin University -Teaching Award: Program That Enhanced Learning (2017)
- Faculty of Business and Law Teaching Award: Program That Enhanced Learning (2016)
- Student Choice Award for Department of Marketing. Curtin Malaysia: 2017
- Student Choice Award for Best Lecturer (Marketing). Curtin Malaysia: 2015
- Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Awards – Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning – Curtin University (2007)
- Student Choice Award for Best Lecturer (Marketing). Curtin Malaysia: 2006
- Excellence and Innovation in Teaching Award (EIT) Curtin University (2005)
Executive Education Development and Delivery
Name of workshop: The 5 star Service mentality
Client name: Yayasan Sarawak
Month and year developed: August 2016
Month and year delivered: December 2016
Updated on: 14 November 2019