Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
As a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) candidate, you will uncover new knowledge either by the discovery of new facts, the formulation of theories or the innovative reinterpretation of known data and established ideas. Your research will use an in-depth understanding of theories and concepts to develop practical solutions for real-world problems. Doctor of Philosophy is a higher degree obtained after a period of study primarily devoted to an extensive research project, culminating in the submission of a thesis. The thesis must, in the opinion of the examiners, be a substantial original contribution to the knowledge or understanding of any field through the discovery of new facts, the formulation of theories or the innovative reinterpretation of known data and established ideas. It must also demonstrate your capacity to conceive, design and complete independent research.
MODE OF DELIVERY
Supervised research study
MODE & DURATION OF STUDY
Full-time: 2 to 3 years or Part-time: 4 to 6 years
1. Academic Qualifications
- Graduated with or qualified for the award of the degree of Bachelor with First Class Honours or Upper Second Class Honours* (CGPA≥ 3.0) within Curtin University which includes the completion of a supervised research dissertation project carrying the equivalent credit of at least 25 percent of an annual full-time load.*Candidate having Upper Second-Class Honours could be considered for a Doctoral direct entry upon demonstration of research competencies as verified and deemed by the Academic Board at Curtin University Malaysia.
- Graduated with or qualified for the award of the degree of Master of Philosophy or Master of Research within Curtin University which includes the completion of a publically available thesis.
- Graduated with or qualified for the award of the degree Master by Coursework within Curtin University, and the completion of a research dissertation project carrying the equivalent credit of at least 25 percent of an annual full-time load and which has been awarded an assessed result at or above distinction level.
- Graduated with or qualified for the award of the degree Master by Coursework at or above distinction level within Curtin University, and the completion of substantive and relevant research experience which can be evidenced in at least one of the following forms:
- substantial scholarly papers as sole or primary author, appearing in recognised academic journals or in volumes published by recognised academic publishers;
- published research reports prepared for industry, government or business, which adhere to the broad conventions of academic publishing and which identify the applicant as sole or primary author; or
- a portfolio of creative work with a published critical discussion of that work, which demonstrates the applicant’s development of a scholarly approach to creative work as research investigation, for which the application is identified as sole or primary author;
- Obtained qualifications from another institution which are recognised by tertiary admission authorities in Australia and which are deemed to be equivalent to above four criteria.
2. English Requirements
All courses at Curtin University Malaysia are taught in English. Therefore, applicants are required to satisfy Curtin University’s English language proficiency requirement for postgraduate coursework and Higher Degree by Research courses through one of the following ways:
- Tertiary degree studies undertaken in Australia
Successful completion of one semester full-time (equivalent to 0.5 EFTSL) of an undergraduate or postgraduate degree level study at a recognised University in Australia.
- Tertiary degree studies taught in English outside Australia
- Successful completion of at least one semester full-time or equivalent of an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree level study at a recognised University in New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, United Kingdom; or
- Successful completion of at least one year full-time or equivalent of an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree level study at a recognised University in Canada, Singapore, South Africa or United States of America; or
- Successful completion of an undergraduate or postgraduate coursework degree from a recognised overseas University, assessed by Curtin University as comparable to the educational level of an Australian Bachelor or Master Degree in which Curtin University recognised English is the sole language of instruction*.
*Internal Assessment notes:
- Use the World Higher Education Database (WHED) to retrieve the language of instruction. Exceptions apply, see details below.
- Except for European countries, if the language of instruction listed in the Diploma Supplement is English, we accept this information over WHED as it is at course level.
- Assumption University, Thailand, English is the medium of instruction for all courses except for Undergraduate Law degree.
- Undertake an approved English proficiency test.
Any one of the tests in the following table can also be accepted as satisfying Curtin University Malaysia’s English language requirement:
|ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEST||SCORE|
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS)*||Overall 6.5W-6, S-6, R-6, L-6|
|PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic)||Overall Score 50W- 50, S-50, R-50, L-50|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)*TOEFL iBT (Special Home Edition)*||79 Internet based (Band minimum W-21, L-13, R-13, S-18)|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – Paper Based Test||570 and 4.5 in TWE|
|OET (Occupational English Test)||Listening 250Reading 250
Calculated average score of all components 300
|C1 AdvancedFormerly known as Cambridge English Advanced (CAE)
||176 with 169 in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking|
|C2 ProficiencyFormerly known as Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE)
||190 with 176 in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking|
|Special Tertiary Admission Test (STAT) Written English SectionWhere only the Written English component was taken, results are valid for two years from the date of testing, however maybe used for entry until the next immediate semester intake.||STAT format from 1 May 2010: 140Previous STAT format between 1996 to April
|Malaysian University English Test (MUET)||Band 4 and no less than 200 in aggregate score|
*Results for IELTS and TOEFL are valid for two years.
Applicants who do not meet the above requirement (or qualifications not listed above) will be assessed on a case-by-case basis and provided with alternative pathways where necessary.
Completion of a bachelor degree course in which English was the language of instruction is also considered as meeting the English language requirement. Each application is assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- A work station with 24 hours access
- Stationery support including paper, printing, photocopy
- Research room – well equipped with data and software
- RM1,500/year of financial support for consumables and fieldwork related spending.
- Opportunity to attend specialised research training seminars, professorial training workshops, national or international conferences supported by the University.
- Full online access to research supporting resources (including international journals, conference proceedings, e-books, etc.) provided by the parent campus.
- Limited scholarships are available under the Curtin Sarawak Postgraduate Research Scheme. An awardee currently receives a stipend of RM2,100 per month and tuition fees will also be waived. In return, awardees are expected to contribute a maximum of 8 hours of teaching activities per week during semesters.
- Limited number of fee waivers are available under Curtin Malaysia Graduate School. An awardee currently receives a fully or partially course fee waiver only. In return, awardees are expected to contribute a maximum of 8 hours of teaching activities per week during semesters.
|Course||Local Student Fees||International Student Fees|
|Doctor of Philosophy (By Research) (Business)||28,700 per annum||44,456 per annum|