DR SAMUEL ADEYINKA-OJO
- PhD in Hospitality & Tourism, Taylor’s University, Malaysia, November, 2015
- GCB Graduate Certificate in Business (International Business) (Distinction), Monash University, Australia, November, 2011
- MBA Master of Business Administration – Marketing Management (Upper Credit) Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Nigeria April, 2004
- B.Sc. Bachelor of Science (Ed.) Accounting (2nd Class Honours Upper Division) University of Uyo, Nigeria (Federal Government University) February, 2000
- PGDM Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing, (Distinction) Nigeria Institute of Journalism Lagos, Nigeria. December, 1998
- NCE Nigeria Certificate in Education, (Accounting and Business Management) (Upper Credit) Lagos State College of Education, Nigeria February, 1991
- Diploma in Business English, Business Training School, England May, 1987
+60 85 443939 ext. 5086
No. 47, Row 4
- Head of Department and Lecturer, Department of Marketing, Faculty of Business
Curtin University Malaysia, March 2017 to present
- Lecturer, Department of Marketing, Faculty of Business
Curtin University Malaysia, February 2016 to February 2017
Examiner – (Examination Marking) – Master Degree Program Module – Strategic Marketing Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus, Malaysia (2013)
Tutor – Integrated Marketing communication and Tourism Marketing
Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus, Malaysia (2012-2015)
Research Assistant– for the Long term Research Grant Scheme LRGS) (2012-2015) by the Ministry of Education Malaysia [Ref. No.:JPT.S (BPKI) 2000/09/015Jld.4(67)].
Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus, Malaysia (2012-2015)
Administrative Assistant to the Associate Dean- Industry & Enterprise
Divisional Office School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts,
Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus, Malaysia. (2012 – 2015)
Managing and Training Consultant
Brettonbell International Consulting
(Centre for European Management Education) Abuja, Nigeria
February 2008 – May, 2010.
Bursar and Business Studies Teacher
Premiere International Academy
Lugbe, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria – October 2005 to January, 2008.
Head of Faculty – Business and Accounting
Infant Jesus Academy Asaba, Nigeria
August – September, 2005.
Lecturer (Part-time) – Accounting and Principles of Management
Olabisi Onabanjo University Ago-Iwoye, Ogun Sate Nigeria
(MAGES Campus), Lagos, Nigeria
December 1999 – July, 2002
Lecturer (Part-time) – Accounting
National Computer College, Lagos, Nigeria
April – July, 1997
Tutor – Business studies
Citadel International Institute, Lagos, Nigeria, March – December, 1996
- Hospitality Industry Management
- Managing Tourism Destinations
- Contemporary Issues in Tourism Management
- Dynamics of Hospitality Management
- Principles of Tourism, Hospitality and Events
- Tourism Marketing
- Project Quality Management
Tourism destination marketing and branding, hospitality marketing, visitor behaviour, food festivals and events management, social media, digital marketing, quality management, human resources management in hospitality and tourism, financial accounting and hospitality revenue management, sustainable rural and ecotourism destination.
- Multidimensional Responsible Rural Tourism Capacity Framework for Sustainable Tourism Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia Long Term Research Grant Scheme (LRGS) [Ref. No.:JPT.S (BPKI) 2000/09/015Jld.4(67)]. RM9,000,000 (US$3 million in 2011) (Co-Researcher)
Academic Journal Articles
- Sajilan, S., Tehseen, S., & Adeyinka-Ojo, S. (2016). A conceptual framework on the impact of entrepreneurial competencies on small and medium enterprises business performance in the Malaysian hospitality and tourism industry. Review of Integrative Business and Economics Research, 5 (2), 47-61
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., Nair, V., & Khoo-Lattimore, C. (2015). Exploring the critical success factors of developing a brand for rural tourism destination. Advanced Science Letters. 21 (6), 1894-1897. Doi:10.1166/asl/.2015.6153. Impact factor 1.25, Scopus Indexed and ISI
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., Nair, V., & Khoo-Lattimore, C. (2014). Case studies approach in tourism destination branding research. SHS Web of Conferences, (Web of Science), 12, 01061 (2014), 01061-pp.1-8. doi.10.1051/shsconf/20141201061. Indexed by Thomson Reuters
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., Khoo-Lattimore, C., & Nair, V. (2014). A framework for rural tourism destination management and marketing organisations. Procedia – Social and Behavioural Sciences, 144 (2014), 151-163. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.07.284
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., & Khoo-Lattimore, C. (2013). Slow food events as a high yield strategy for rural tourism destinations: The case of Bario, Sarawak, Worldwide Hospitality and Tourism Themes, 5(4), 353-364.doi: 10.1108/WHATT-03-2013-0012. Scopus indexed
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., & Khoo-Lattimore, C. (2013). The Making of “Authentic” Tourism Experience: The Case of Bario, Sarawak, BIMP-EAGA Journal of Sustainable Tourism Development, 2(2), 51-53. Indexed in CIRET
Conference Proceedings / Presentations
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., & Adbullah, S.K. (2017). Social media marketing in rural hospitality and tourism destinations. 5th Borneo Research Education Confernece 2017), Curtin University, Malaysia. 6-7 November 2017.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., & Nair, V. (2017). Rethinking employability skills deficits in rural hospitality and tourism destination research. 3rd International Skills Colloquium: Employability, Employment, Training and Skills in the Globa Era. Curtin University, Malaysia. 16-17 February 2017.
- Emelifeonwu, J.C., & Adeyinka-Ojo, S. (2017). Whataspp mobile messenger (WaMM) as an innovative approach in reducing power distance in teaching and learning. Teaching and Learning Forum 2017. Innovation: Multiple Dimensions in Teaching and Learning, Perth Western Australia, 2-3 February 2017.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., & Nair, V. (2017). Understanding the challenges of developing a brand for rural tourism destination. ASEAN Tourism Research Association Conference (ATRC) 2017. James Cook University Singapore, 18 January 2017.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., & Nair, V. (2016). A narrative analysis of health tourism in selected Asia destinations: past, present and future. 6th Asia-Euro Conference 2016, Tourism, Hospitality and Gastronomy Conference, IITM Gwalior, M.P. India, 9-12 November 2016.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., & Nair, V. (2016). Rural tourism destination accessibility: Exploring the stakeholders’ experience. 3rd International Hospitality and Tourism Conference & 2nd International Seminar on Tourism 10-12 Oct 2016 Bandung, Indonesia, pp. 441-446. London: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group. ISBN 978-1-138-03276-7 (HBK) Scopus Indexed.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S. (2016). Exploring the relationship-based approach in developing rural tourism destination brand. The 33rd Annual Pan-Pacific Conference. Pullman Hotel, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia. May 25-27, 2016.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S. & Nair, V. (2016). Destination branding framework in tourism research: A state-of-the-art gap analysis. 14th ApacChrie Conference 2016, Dusit Thani Luxury hotel, Bangkok, Thailand, 11th – 13th May, 2016.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., & Nair, V. (2015).Constructing a brand for rural tourism destination: hard and soft factors attractions. International Hospitality and Tourism Conference (HTC) 2015. Malacca City Malaysia 2-3 November, 2015. Scopus Indexed
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., & Nair, V. (2015). Towards Developing a Framework for Rural Tourism Destination Appeals. 21st Asia Pacific Tourism Association Conference, Kuala Lumpur May 14-17, 2015, Dorsett Grand Hotel Subang Jaya, Malaysia. Cited in ERA
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., Nair, V., & Khoo-Lattimore, C. (2015). Exploring the critical success factors of developing a brand for rural tourism destination. International Conference on Business, Management, Tourism and Hospitality, 12-14 May 2015, Swiss Garden Hotel, Malacca City, Malaysia. Scopus Indexed and ISI
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., Khoo-Lattimore, C. Nair, V. (2014). Relationship building as an innovative approach to develop sustainable tourism destination brand. University of Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) Business School Management and Entrepreneurship Conference 2014 (UBSMEC2014), 23rd December, 2014.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., Nair, V., Khoo-Lattimore, C. (2014). Case studies approach in tourism destination branding research. 4th International Conference on Tourism Research (4ICTR) in conjunction with 5th International Rural Responsible Tourism Symposium, 9-11 December, 2014. The Pacific Sutera, Sutera Harbour Resort, Kota Kinabalu & Kinabalu Park, Kundasang Sabah-Malaysian Borneo.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., Nair, V. & Khoo-Lattimore, C. (2014). Rethinking qualitative data analysis techniques in case studies destination branding tourism research. 8th Graduate Research Colloquium (GRC) for Postgraduate Research Students in Hospitality and Tourism 25th November, 2014. Taylor’s University, Lakeside Campus, Malaysia. This paper won the Best Paper Award.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., Khoo-Lattimore, C., &, Nair, V. (2014).Developing destination brand indicators for rural tourism using qualitative approach. 12th Asia Pacific Chrie (APacCHRIE) Conference, 21-24 May, 2014, Sunway Resort Hotel, Subang Jaya, Malaysia. This paper was recommended by the scientific committee of APacCHRIE Conference to the Journal of Hospitality Management and Marketing for publication
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., Khoo-Lattimore, C. Nair, V. (2014). A framework for rural tourism destination management and marketing organisations.5th Asia-Euro 2014 Tourism, Hospitality and Gastronomy Conference in conjunction with 4th Responsible Rural Tourism Conference, 19-21 May 2014. Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus, Malaysia.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., Khoo-Lattimore, C., &, Nair, V. (2014). Co-branding and collaborative marketing engagement in rural tourism destinations: A conceptual framework. 13th Asia Pacific Forum for Graduate Students Research in Tourism. 14-16 May, 2014, National Kaohsiung University of Hospitality and Tourism, Taiwan.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., Khoo-Lattimore, C. & Nair, V. (2013). Promoting rural tourism through destination branding framework. 3rd Regional Conference on Tourism Research in association with the 2nd International Rural Responsible Tourism Symposium, 29th -31st October 2013, Bayview Hotel, Langkawi, Malaysia.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., Khoo-Lattimore, C (2013). An application of SPBM Model to Rural Tourism Destination Branding. 12th Asia Pacific Forum for Graduate Students’ Research in Tourism, 26th – 29th June 2013, Malaysia. This paper won the Best Innovation Paper Award.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., Khoo-Lattimore, C., Nair, V (2013). Conceptualising a Framework to Analyse the Factors Influencing the Local Community’s Support for Sustainable Rural Tourism Development. BEST EN THINK TANK XIII: Engaging Communities in Sustainable Tourism Development, 23rd-26th June 2013, Malaysia.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., Khoo-Lattimore, C (2012). Rural Tourism Destination Branding – A Community Perspective, 4th Asia Euro Conference, Malaysia, 28-30 November 2012
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S., Khoo-Lattimore, C (2012). Investigating the Role of Slow Food Events in Rural Destination Branding, Tourism and Travel Research Association Asia Pacific Conference (TTRA Asia-Pac), 30 November – 1 December 2012, Malaysia.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S. & Khoo-Lattimore, C. (2018). Black on Brown: Research paradoxes for black scholars working in ethnic communities. In P. Mura and C. Khoo-Lattimore (Eds.). Asian Qualitative Research in Tourism. Perspective on Asia Tourism. (pp. 225-270) Singapore: Springer. ISBN 978-981-10-7490-5.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., & Khoo-Lattimore, C. (2017). Exploring consumer behaviour at slow food festivals in rural destinations. In S. K. Dixit (Ed.). Routledge Handbook of Consumer Behaviour in Hospitality and Tourism. (pp. 415 – 425). London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-138-96167-8.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F., & Khoo-Lattimore, C. (2016). Regional foods and rural development: The Case of Bario, Sarawak. In C.M. Hall & S. Gossling (Eds.). Food Tourism and Regional Development: Networks, Products and Trajectories. (pp.104-117).Oxford: Taylor and Francis Group. ISBN: 978-1-138-91922.
- Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F. (2014). People and Culture, pp. 58-59. In Colours of the Wind – Rural Malaysia via the Lenses of Researchers. V. Nair and B. Mohamed, Taylor’s Press, Taylor’s University, Malaysia. ISBN 978-967-0173-15-3.
Adeyinka-Ojo, S. (2016). Medical Tourism in Developing Countries. TEAM Journal
of Hospitality and Tourism, 12 (1), 83-85.
Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F. (2013). Slow Tourism: Experiences and Mobilities. Anatolia: An International Journal of Tourism and Hospitality Research, 2013, Vol.00, No.0, 1-2. http://Dx.Doi.Org/10.1080/13032917.2013.796829
Adeyinka-Ojo, S.F. (2012). Tourism and Poverty Reduction Pathway to Prosperity. TEAM Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 9 (1), 81-82.
Supervision of Higher Degree by Research Student – Co Supervisor
- Ho Jie Min
- M.Phil Accounting
- The corporate social responsibility (CSR) practice of environmental sensitive companies and its impacts on corporate financial performance (CFP).
- June 2017
Examiner of Doctoral Dissertation
- Srimeenaksi, A
Impact of corporate governance on the financial performance of financial institutions in Malaysia
Curtin University Malaysia
- Mohamed Mihilar Mohamed Shamil
Exploring corporate adoption and corporate financial performance relationship
Curtin University Malaysia
Reviewer of Academic Journals
- Tourism and Hospitality Research Journal (SSCI Indexed) – 2016 to present
- Reviewer, Journal of Vacation Marketing (SSCI Indexed) – 2016 to present
- Asia Pacific Journal of Innovation in Hospitality and Tourism – 2016 to present
- TEAM Journal of Hospitality and Tourism – 2015 to present
Other Conference Activities
- Conference Committee Member, 3rd International Skills Conference, Imperial Hotel, Miri, Sarawak Malaysia 16-17 February 2017.
- Session Chair, The 33rd Annual Pan-Pacific Conference. Pullman Hotel, Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia. 25-27 May, 2016.
- Reviewer, the 13th Asia Pacific Chrie (APacCHRIE) Conference 2015, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand 10-13 June, 2015.
- Reviewer, the 5thAsia Pacific Chrie (APacCHRIE) Youth Conference 2014, Taylor’s University, Malaysia, 21-24 May 2014.
Academic Society Committee Membership
- Member, Industry Engagement Committee Faculty of Business, Curtin University, Malaysia
- Collaboration with the industry to promote work integrated learning (WIL) for our students through internship programme. October 2016 to present
- 7th Annual Slow Food and Cultural Festivals & WWF Meeting in Bario, Sarawak, Malaysia
Responsible rural tourism as a strategic tool in developing rural destination branding 28 July 2012
- Long Term Research Grant Scheme (LRGS) Meeting held at the Le Meridien Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Socio-cultural indicators for responsible rural tourism destination 9 April, 2012
Executive Education Development
- 9th Asia Pacific Ecotourism Conference 2016 Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia, 21-23 October 2016.
- Developing Critical Thinking in Learners. Academic Staff Workshop 27 May 2016, Curtin University, Sarawak Malaysia
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. Academic Staff Workshop 26 May 2016, Curtin University, Sarawak Malaysia
- Foundation of Learning and Teaching (FOLT – 1) Online, Curtin Learning Institute, Perth, Australia 18 April – 31st May, 2016.
- Foundation of Learning and Teaching (FOLT – 1, 2 & 3), Curtin University, Sarawak, Malaysia. 09 March – 11 May 2016.
- Financial Management Intensive Training Programme, Malvern International Academy Petaling Jaya Campus, Malaysia, 8-11 November, 2014.
- Training Workshop on “Case Study Design and Application” Shah Alam, Malaysia organised by CT Research Clinic and Reezqi Academy 19 July, 2014.
- Training Workshop on “Nvivo 10” at University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, organised by Panoply Consultancy, 8 June 2014.
- Part II- The sharing of Experience and Best Practices in Publishing Articles for International Referred Journal: Refining Paper for Publication in high impact journal. Organised by Higher Education Academy and Monash University, Malaysia. 31 October – 1 November 2013.
- Part I- The sharing of Experience and Best Practices in Publishing Articles for International Referred Journal. Organised by Higher Education Academy and Monash University, Malaysia. 2-3 July 2013.
- Training Workshop on Jumpstart to “Nvivo 10” organised by Statworks (M) Sdn Bhd Petaling Jaya, Malaysia, 26 March 2013.
- World Tourism Conference, Melacca City, Malaysia 21-23 October, 2013.
- 2nd Iskandar and Eco-Tourism Conference, Johor Bahru, Malaysia 5-7 October, 2013.
- International Conference on Tourism Development (ICTD) at G – Hotel Penang, Malaysia February 5-6, 2013.
- Regional Symposium on Rural Tourism at Royal University of Phnom Penh and Technical Tour at Siem Reap, Cambodia 17-22 May, 2012.
- Qualitative research methods workshop, Taylor’s University, Malaysia, 28 August, 2012.
- Five orientations of learning in higher education organised by Teaching and Educational Development @ INTELLECT, Taylor’s University, Malaysia, 29 May, 2012.
- Quantitative analysis for research in business and social science at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, UTM Razak School of Engineering and Advanced Technology International Campus, Kuala Lumpur, 5-7 May 2012.
- International Symposium on Biodiversity and Tourism at Ipoh, Perak, April 27-28,2012.
- The 2012 Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Youth Tourism Forum at Taylor’s University, Malaysia 18 April, 2012.
- “Innovation in Tourism and Hospitality Education” 5th THE-ICE International Panel of Experts (IPOE) Forum 2011 at Taylor’s University, Malaysia 23-25 November, 2011.
- International Student Leadership Conference at Taylor’s University, Malaysia 21-24 October, 2011.
- Uncover consumers’ buying behaviour organised by Singapore Institute of Management, Singapore, 17 & 18, October 2011.
- Information and Communication Technology, Netpost Training Institute, Abuja, Nigeria 7 – 31 July 2008.
- Payroll administration and accounting, The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, Plateau Hotel, Jos Nigeria 26-30 November 2007.
- Advanced operations management programme, Centre for British Education & Culture, Abuja, Nigeria 15 September 2007.
- Advanced capital market studies, Centre for British Education & Culture, Abuja, Nigeria 8 September, 2007.
- Advanced planning and strategic management programme, Centre for British Education & Culture, Abuja, Nigeria 1 September, 2007.
- Facilitator (Focus Group) – Tourism Forum, Miri City for Discover Miri, Uniquely Borneo (Visit Miri Year – VMY 2018) on-going April 2017 to current.
Eastwood Hotels and Country Golf Club 29 April 2017.
- Advanced strategic marketing management – A paper presented at a training workshop for managers and head of departments of SMEs at Villa-U Hotel Abuja, Nigeria 15 March 2008.
- Advanced strategic management and planning – A paper presented at a training workshop for managers and head of departments of SMEs at Villa-U Hotel Abuja, Nigeria 8 March 2008.
- Certificate of Completion – Foundation of Learning and Teaching April 18 -31 May, 2016) Curtin Learning Institute Perth, Australia
- Certificate of Completion – Foundation of Learning and Teaching (2016) Curtin University Sarawak, Malaysia.
- Associate Chartered Management Institute (ACMI), United Kingdom, August 2012 to current
- Associate Member Chartered Institute of Marketing (ACIM), United Kingdom, September 2011 to current and CPD is required
- Member The Chartered Institute of Marketing Malaysia (MCIM), September 2011 to current
- Member Malaysian Institute of Management (MMIM), Malaysia, August 2011 to current
- Fellow Institute of Professional Financial Managers (FIPFM), United Kingdom, June, 2007 to current
- Associate Institute of Cost and Management Accountants (ACMA), Nigeria March, 2007 to current
- Associate Nigeria Institute of Management (Chartered) (AMNIM) April, 2005 to current
- Member National Institute of Marketing (Chartered) Nigeria, February, 2004 to current
- Associate Accounting Technician (AAT) Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria completed in March, 1993 to current
- Certified Teacher, Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN), Federal Ministry of Education Nigeria May, 2005 to current (Award No. CT/S/02526) *(Teaching competency award for qualified teachers in teaching and learning qualification)
Updated: 5 April 2018