Dr. Pauline Ho Poh Ling
Doctor of Philosophy
Curtin University, Australia
Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Teaching
Curtin University, Australia
Master of Commerce (Accounting)
Charles Sturt University, Australia
Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting & Finance)
University of Western Australia, Australia
Membership No. 1853658
1996 – current
Malaysian Institute of Accountants
Membership No. 12150
1997 – current
+60 85 443939 ext. 3014
No. 59, Row 4
- Associate Professor, Accounting
Department of Accounting
Faculty of Business
Curtin University, Malaysia
1999 – Present
- Bank Officer
Corporate and Investment Department
Arab Malaysian Merchant Bank Berhad
1996 – 1998
1993 – 1996
- ACCT 2005 Financial Accounting
- ACCT 2004 Company Accounting
- TAXA 2000 Introduction to Australian Tax Law
- Corporate Sustainability Disclosure
- Corporate Governance
- Behaviour of Stakeholders in Separating Food Waste at Source; Miri City Council; RM50,000. Role: Chief Investigator. Period: July 2016 – June 2018.
- Entrepreneurial orientation of small and medium sized practices in Malaysia; Faculty of Business, Curtin University Malaysia; RM8,000. Role: Co-investigator. Period: October 2016 – September 2017.
- A Dynamic General Equilibrium Model to Mitigate Greenhouse Gas Emissions: The Malaysian Agriculture Sector; Fundamental Research Grants Scheme (FRGS) from Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia; RM50,000. Role: Co-investigator. Period: May 2016 – April 2019.
- Sustainable Development: A Case Study of Miri City Council’s Green Initiative; Miri City Council; RM30,000. Role: Chief Investigator. Period: 2012 – 2013.
- Sustainability Environmental Disclosure by Malaysian Public Listed Companies: A Longitudinal Study; Curtin Sarawak Research Cluster Fund, Curtin University, Malaysia; RM19,000. Role: Chief Investigator. Period: 2012 – 2017.
- The Influence of Macro-Environmental Forces on Transport Sustainability in Malaysia; East Asia Development Network, Individual Research Grant of US$9,500.00. Role: Co-investigator. Period: 2011 – 2012.
- Enhancing Corporate Governance Structure for Greater Voluntary Disclosure: Malaysian Evidence; East Asia Development Network, Individual Research Grant of US$10,000.00. Role: Chief Investigator. Period: 2010 – 2011.
- Jong, L., and Ho, P.L. (2018). Inside the family firms: The impact of family and institutional ownership
on executive remuneration. Cogent Economics and Finance, In-Press. doi: 10.1080/23322039.2018.1432095
- Fauzi, F., Basyith, A., and Ho, P.L. (2017). Women on boardroom: Does it create risk?. Cogent Economics and Finance, 5, 1-14. doi: 10.1080/23322039.2017.1325117
- Aripin, N., Ho, P.L., and Tower, G. (2014). The masters’ control: How ownership structure influences the communication of financial ratios. Asian Journal of Business and Accounting, 7(2), 45-69.
- Ho, P.L., and Taylor, G. (2014). The impact of governance and ownership structure on disclosure patterns transcending major regulatory change in Malaysia. Corporate Ownership and Control, 12(1), 8-30.
- Shamil, M.M., Shaikh, J., Ho, P.L., and Krishnan, A. (2014). The Influence of Board Characteristics on Sustainability Reporting: Empirical Evidence from Sri Lankan Firms. Asian Review of Accounting, 22(2), 78-97 (doi: 10.1108/ARA-09-2013-0060).
- Ho, P.L., Tower, G., and Taylor, G. (2013). Corporate governance, ownership structure and voluntary disclosure: Evidence from listed firms in Malaysia. Afro-Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, 3(4), 319-340.
- Ho, P.L., and Taylor, G. (2013). Corporate governance and different types of voluntary disclosure: Evidence from Malaysian listed firms. Pacific Accounting Review, 25(1), 4-29.
- Ho, P.L., Aripin, N., and Tower, G. (2012). Corporate governance failure to influence the communication of key financial data over turbulent times. Journal of Applied Management Accounting Research, 10(1), 35-52.
- Ho, P.L., and Tower, G. (2011). Ownership structure and voluntary disclosure in corporate annual reports of Malaysian listed firms. Corporate Ownership and Control, 8(2), 296-313.
- Phua, M., and Ho, P.L. (2016). Female directors on corporate boards: Does female leadership drive corporate environmental transparency?, SHS Web of Conferences, 34, The 17th Annual Conference of the Asian Academic Accounting Association, Malaysia, 20-22 November 2016. doi: dx.doi.org/10.1051/shsconf/20173405002
- Ho, P.L., Goi, C.L., Lew, T.Y., Tang, F.E., and Ho, C. (2015). Stakeholder response to say not to plastic bags campaign. Conference Proceedings, Pan-Pacific Conference XXXII in Hanoi, Vietnam, 1-4 June 2015.
- Junaidi, H., Shaikh, J, Ho. P.L., Khadaroo, M.I., and Yahya, A. (2015). Transition towards accrual accounting and disclosure requirements: A conceptual study, International Conference on Accounting Studies (ICAS) 2015, Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia, 17-20 August 2015.
- Jong, L., Ho, P.L., and Krishnan, A. (2014). Ownership structure and executive remuneration: An empirical study of Malaysian listed family firms. Conference Proceedings, 2014 APJAE Symposium on Environmental, Social and Governance Issues in the Asia Pacific Region in Hong Kong, 3rd till 5th December 2014.
- Lew, T.Y., Goi, C.L., and Ho, P.L. (2013). Low carbon cities framework – the way forward for green and sustainable city: A case in Miri. Conference Proceedings, 3rd International Conference on Business and Economics in Brunei, 28-29 September.
- Shamil, M.M.M., Shaikh, J.M., Ho, P.L., and Krishnan, A. (2012). The relationship between corporate sustainability and corporate financial performance: A conceptual review. Conference Proceedings, USM-AUT International Conference 2012 Sustainable Economic Development: Policies and Strategies in Penang, Malaysia, 17-18 November.
- Ho, P.L., and Goi, C.L. (2012). Enhancing Corporate governance structure for greater voluntary disclosures. Conference proceedings, 13th Annual Conference Asian Academic Accounting Association, Kyoto, Japan, 9-12 November 2012.
- Ho, P.L., Aripin, N., and Tower, G. (2010). Determinants of communication of key financial data in Malaysian listed firms. Conference Proceedings, 2010 AFAANZ Conference, Christchurch, New Zealand, 4-6 July 2009.
- Jong Ling (PhD)
Executive remuneration of listed family companies in Malaysia
Date of supervision: March 2014 – July 2018 [Completed PhD on 27 July 2018]
- Jennifer Chong (MPhil)
Environmental disclosure and board diversity in Malaysian listed companies
Date of supervision: December 2016 – now
- Ivy Hii (MPhil)
Determinants of individual assets allocation
Date of supervision: March 2017 – now
- Michelle Phua (MPhil)
Determinants of board gender diversity on environmental disclosure in Malaysian listed firms
Date of supervision: December 2013 – 15 April 2016 [Completed and Passed MPhil Thesis]
- Mathew Alappatt (PhD)
International Accounting Standard Adoption and Corporate Reporting Quality: A Study on Selected Australian Listed Companies
Date of supervision: February 2012 – now
Examiner of Doctorate Dissertation
Corporate governance and expropriation of Malaysian listed construction companies
Date: December 2014 – March 2015
Reviewer of Academic Journal
Accounting Research Journal.
Date: March 2016.
Pacific Accounting Review.
Date: October 2015.
Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance.
CPA with CPA (Australia), membership since 1996.
Chartered Accountant with Malaysian Institute of Accountants, membership since 1995.
The Golden Globe Tiger Award 2017 for Outstanding Contribution to Education.
Updated on: 31 July 2018